Tuesday 10 November 2009

Tutorial Broken Acrylic Nail


Ok! so in my last post I told you how I'd broken 2 of my Acrylic nails & now I will show you how I fixed them with the Dual system nail forms. This was a little tricky to take photo's of, I'm right handed & it's not easy to do your right hand with your left but these dual system nail forms make it so much easier. Most of the pics are of my left thumb nail, but I pretty much did the same for my right hand nail. Strangely enough my right nail looks better than my left thumb.

Here we go!
This is what my nails looked like.


Left thumb with the corner chipped off.



Right 3rd (bird) fingernail with the corner chipped off.

First of all it is important that I have prepped my hands & nails.
I washed my hands & used Saniprep Cleanse on my nails to make sure there wasn't any bacteria that could get trapped in the acrylic. I didn't need any adhesion enhancer or primer because I'm not putting acrylic on the natural nail.

This is what I used.


White Acrylic Powder, EzFlow Sliver Screen Acrylic, Acrylic Liquid, Acrylic Brush, Dual System Nail Forms & Hair Clip (I'll explain the hair clip when I use it) You will also need a nail file & buffer (sorry there not in the pic)


Box of Dual System Nail Forms.
These just look like glue on nail tips huh!... but they aren't.
(When I get to do a full set of nails or have to do a complete repair of a nail I will post a tutorial about it)
These are the moulds, you put acrylic in them & apply to the nail, let it set and then remove them.
So easy!.....
Dual system nails forms are an alternative to using forms to sculpt a nail.
There are alot of nail techs out there that can create gorgeous natural looking nails with sculptured nail forms unfortunately I am not one of them. I would & still do avoid using sculptured nail forms as much as I can, for some reason no matter how much I practice they never turn out the way I want them to & always look really fake to me. So I am so happy that someone came up with Dual system nail forms.



On the left of the pic is the right 3rd fingernail mould, on the right is the left thumb mould (Sorry I only just realised I should have placed them the other way round for the pic to make it a little easier to understand).
I have my own person set marked with which finger they go on & where the free edge line is for a french acrylic nail. Saves me so much time the next time I go to use them.


I have put the mould over my nail & used the hair clip to keep it in place.


The underside view of my thumb nail with the mould held in place with the hair clip.
 I will be working from the underside of the nail.






Apply EzFlow Silver Screen acrylic into the mould where the break is. I have to apply the acrylic in reverse so that the silver glitter can be seen from the
surface of the nail.


               
 Then I have applied the white french acrylic to underside of the nail, on top the silver acrylic.
.


Wait for the acrylic to set.
This is what it looks like from the suface of the nail, my smile line looks terrible! but I will fix that when I do my next refill. I'll just have to live with it looking a little crooked for now.


The acrylic is still setting, but it's set enough to take the hair clip off.
You can hardly tell that there's a mould over my nail, except for the extra length of the mould extending from the free edge. The little tags on the end of the mould helps you take it off without damaging them.


Take the mould off.





File & shape the nail.


                                                                    
Buff & blend into the rest of the nail
Sorry! I forgot to put a nile file & buffer in the photgraph with the things you will need.



This is how it looks after you have filed & shaped it.
(wow! my skin on my fingers is really dry)


Ta Da!!!
Finsh with a glossy top coat & some cuticle oil & your done.
( I haven't put cuticle oil on in this pic)
You would have to look really, really close to tell that I had broken it.

My 3rd finger nail


After I have put the acrylic in the mould & waiting for it to set.


The acrylic has set & I've taken the mould off ready to file & buff.


My finished nail.
This one looks heaps better.

So there you have it. I hope this tutorial was useful & has given you another option to repairing your nails.

Thanks for reading!