Friday 8 January 2010

Amigurumi

Hey There
A few years ago I asked my mum to to teach me how to crochet, but found that making clothes & other out dated looking items were very boring. Most of the time I wasn't happy with the result & half way through a project I would loose interest & pull it apart. I have ended up with a box full of all different kinds of yarn/wool & not known what to do with it. Until about a year ago I discovered amigurumi the japanese art of crocheting toys & stuff. So I taught my self how to do it with the 1000's of free patterns you can find on the internet. It has taken alot of practice & patience for me to be happy with a finished project. I can now create original toys & write my own patterns so my family & friends will get some really cool gifts in the future. I have some finished amigurumi's that I gave as Christmas presents that I would like to share with you. They are free patterns I have found from other amigurumi artists I have changed them a little but they still look like the originals. There will be a link for the patterns if you would like to try them out for yourself as I can not take any credit for creating them.
What came first!.... The Chicken or the Egg!
 
 The egg hatches!
 
Into a cute fluffy Chick.

 This was a gift to my mum because she has chickens & although she doesn't like chicken related noveties I just couldn't resist making this, he now sits near the monitor of her computer.This is a very easy project & it only took me about an hour to make. You make the egg then make the chick & attach them at the base so that it becomes reversible.
The pattern is available from here
http://irkachan.blogspot.com/2009/05/que-fue-primero.html
 The Monkey King





How cool is this!
I am part of the generation that grew up watching an unforgettable Asian TV show with a monkey king on a spiritual journey fighting bad guys along the way & flying around on a cloud. Has this just brought back some memories for you? I know it did for me when I found this pattern. If you have no idea what I am rambling about don't worry everyone will tell you all about it if you make one of these guys. Anyways... This was a gift for my brother purely for nostalgic reasons, he loved it! It took me about 2 days to make & was a little challenging as there were some techniques I wasn't used to but nothing to complicated for me to give up on finishing it.
The pattern is available here
http://irkachan.blogspot.com/2009/10/el-rey-mono-patron-gratis.html
Both of these projects are from the same creator & she is very talented, I will be keeping an eye on her blog for future patterns. I have heaps more projects in the works & will post them when I take pics of them. If you have any questions email me & I'll answer as soon as I can.
I hope you enjoyed this & give these patterns ago.
Bye for now!